Established in 2002, ICI is a humanitarian foundation that promotes partnership among the chocolate and cocoa industry, cocoa-producing governments, civil society and NGOs to support the elimination of child labour in cocoa-growing communities. Our head office is in Geneva, Switzerland and we have operations in Ghana and Ivory Coast with National Offices in Accra and Abidjan.
ICI has developed a Child Labour Monitoring and Remediation System (CLMRS) that allows industry partners to manage responsibly the risk of child labour in their cocoa supply chain. In line with the Ghana Child Labor Monitoring System (GCLMS), the system is based on the presence of Community Facilitators (CF) within cocoa-growing communities who raise awareness on the issue of child labour; identify cases and implement remediation activities. (www.cocoainitiative.org)
Recruitment of a monitoring and evaluation specialist on child labour interventions to help the child labour unit
One of the most effective means of addressing child labour is to regularly check the place where girls and boys may be working. Child labour monitoring is an active process that ensures that appropriate and coordinated strategies are put in place to prevent and address child labour. It is a way of mainstreaming child labour prevention into all levels of government.
The idea of a child labour monitoring system began in the 1990s through the work of the International Program on the Elimination of Child Labour (IPEC) of the ILO. Child labour monitoring and remediation systems (CLMRS) are one of several policy approaches currently being used to prevent and address child labour in Ghana. The Child Labour Unit needs an M&E Specialist to help in the coordination of all interventions in both government and private sectors.
The Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations is therefore collaborating with the International Cocoa Initiative (ICI) to recruit an M&E Specialist for the above-mentioned consultancy assignment to ensure the continuous monitoring and periodic assessment of the implementation of policies through a wide range of projects or programs, including but not limited to CLMRS.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
Improve the coordination of all interventions by both Government and the private sector that contribute directly or indirectly to the elimination of child labour in Ghana
SCOPE OF WORK
- Identify and compile a database of all direct and indirect interventions in Ghana towards the elimination of child labour,
- Develop and institutionalize child labour monitoring indicators
- Facilitate the harmonization of various monitoring systems into the GCLMS
- Conduct a desk review of child labour intervention and activities to measure progress
- Institutionalize a functional M&E System at the CLU
SPECIFIC TASKS TO UNDERTAKE
- Develop an M&E plan for the CLU
- Develop and validate output and process indicators on the elimination of child labour
- Prepare and present quarterly and annual M&E reports to the NSC
- Conduct needs assessment of the CLU monitoring system
- Build the capacity of Staff of the CLU on M&E
- Set up dashboards to visualize the indicators above
- Pull together all information on child labour since the implementation of the National Plan of Action Phase I.
EXPECTED OUTPUT OF THE CONSULTANCY
- Monthly, Quarterly and annual reports on all Government and all Partners intervention at both local and national levels.
- Complete database of current interventions, including location and coverage
- Functioning information system, containing consolidated information shared from different CLMRS and providing a visualization of key indicators
Three years from September 2021 to September 2024
The Consultant will report to the MELR/CLU and work in close collaboration with the Head of the Child Labour Unit and the Country Director of the ICI Ghana office.
Required Skills or Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in the social sciences, data science, mathematics or computing
- Track record of publications or articles on child labour/social protection
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience in carrying out similar consultancy assignments
How To Apply
Proposal to include:
- Cover letter consisting of the consultant’s understanding of the terms of reference, suitability for the assignment
- Brief methodology/process
- Work plan
- Detailed budget
- CV of Consultant (and of any supporting team members if relevant- outlining who will undertake the different roles for the assignments if applicable)
- At least two samples of recent reports for similar assignments
- At least two referees whom the consultant has carried out similar work (stating the organization, assignment undertaken, date and duration, contact person’s name, email address, and contact)
Please send your CV AND COVER LETTER to email@example.com
Please put “M & E Specialist” in the subject line.
Applications must be received by close of the day of 15th September 2021
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
NB: ICI has zero-tolerance for all forms of child neglect, abuse (sexual, physical, emotional, and psychological), and exploitation (sexual and commercial).
ICI commits to putting the best interest of the child first, and at the centre of its work, irrespective of a child’s ability, ethnicity, faith, gender, sexuality, and culture.
ICI recognizes its responsibility to ensure and promote a safe and secure environment for children. To effectively manage risks to children, ICI requires the commitment, support, and cooperation of all staff, associates, partners, suppliers, service providers and visitors. By applying at ICI, you automatically agree to the above term and uphold the principles described herein.